Monday, April 27, 2009

Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope Upgrade

I did it. You probably did too. Bit the bullet and upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

I've only upgraded my workstation but still have my HTPC and WWW server to go. I'm nervous about those two.

The upgrade is pretty straight forward. Just press "Upgrade" in the software update dialog that raises its head every so often and let the software do its thing. Chances are, if your machine was running in a stable manner before the upgrade, it will be afterwards.

There were two things which bothered me about the upgrade:
1. It removed Google Picasa Beta 3. No big trouble to reinstall it, but as I have more than 100K images on an NFS share the reindex is going to take a long time. The nasty thing about it is that it removed as part of the "Remove Obsolete Packages" component of the upgrade. Watch out for this.

2. The only other headache so far, and this update is only a few hours old now, is that the Tracker Applet keeps reporting "There was an error while performing indexing: Index corrupted". Again, not too bad, as there are a couple of possible fixes for it reported here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tracker/+bug/361560.

The fix I chose was to kill the related processes and delete the indexes, etc and reboot. No problems with the system after that.

The better fix is in the post by Bryan McLellan. Here's how he did it:

"...
Found a workaround/fix that's more user friendly:

sudo apt-get install tracker-utils
tracker-processes -r # --hard-reset

Then I logged out and back in so the processes that I had previously killed by hand would restart in a normal fashion.
..."

I came across one more solution that is an extension of the one above. It's a little more elegant and complete in some ways. YMMV, etc. Try this:

sudo apt-get install tracker-utils
tracker-processes -r # --hard-reset
/usr/lib/tracker/trackerd &
tracker-applet &
disown -a


I'll be back with more posts on what went right, what went wrong and some other info about this upgrade soon.

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment