Friday, May 1, 2009

TuxGuitar and Ubuntu 9.04 Upgrade.


Oops. Another broken application.

I'm an axe-head. OK - I'm learning guitar and use TuxGuitar to listen to guitar tabs in GuitarPro format so that I can play along and get the sound of the tune into my head, not to mention to decide whether I want to learn the piece for acoustic guitar or my beloved fat little Johnson Delta Rose electric.

Anyway, TuxGuitar is borked. Let's unbork it!

* Uninstall tuxguitar and the optional banks, etc with your favourite app manager or be totally uber and do it from the shell.

* Go get :
http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=tuxguitar&filename=tuxguitar-1.1-ubuntu-x86.deb&use_mirror=softlayer
and install it. There will be a warning that it's a later version than in the distro and may not have as much support. For the amount of support the distro is giving this one, who cares? Tuxguitar and the users are the ones making this package so very valuable.

* Try it and see if it works. If not...

* Do 'timidity -iA -Os &' at the command line. Watch what port is reported by timidity.

* Set that port in the Settings - Sound section of tuxguitar. Now it's working isn't it?


Certainly not an elegant solution, but at least it's working for now. I will update you if and when there is a proper fix for this.

Cheers!!


No comments:

Post a Comment